What Are Pros and Cons of Ductless Systems?
“To duct or not to duct? That is the question.”
Deciding whether or not to use a ductless system is simple when you have the correct information to aid in your choice. Read on to find out the pros and cons regarding ductless systems. Discover when ductless systems are beneficial, and when they are less effective here.
Pros of Ductless Systems
- Ductless system installation requires only the drilling of a small hole at the site of installation, which prohibits air leaks, which contributes to energy savings, which brings us to point two.
- Ductless systems are incredibly energy efficient. According to Energy Star, “about 20 to 30 percent of the air that moves through the duct system is lost due to leaks, holes, and poorly connected ducts.” This translates to higher energy bills for the homeowner. Ductless systems avoid this issue altogether, making them much more efficient.
- Installation of ductless systems may result in receipt of a federal tax credit and/or a local utilities incentive bonus as well.
- Ducted systems require duct maintenance, which adds expenses. They also require repairs eventually. These problems are avoided with ductless systems.
Cons of Ductless Systems
- Cost – Ductless systems cost more on installation than do traditional ducted systems. Ductless systems can cost up to 3 times more than the installation of ductless units throughout a home. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that mini-split air conditioners cost about 30 percent more than central systems based on cooling capacity.
- Ductless systems can be aesthetically out of place in certain decor schemes.
- Ductless systems are only used for spot cooling. To heat more than one room, an extra system is needed for every additional space.
- The filters in the ductless systems must be completed monthly. Frequent maintenance is often considered one of the most undesirable issues with ductless systems.
For the ideal situation, a ductless system can be an incredible asset, however, there are situations in which a ducted system may be the most prudent way to go. For more information on the pros and cons of ductless systems, or if you are in need of a/c installation, maintenance or service, contact Air Comfort of KY. We have the answers you need and we are always here to help! Reach out. We’re waiting.